Systems integration for capital intensive industries
Systems integration means different things to different people. Successful systems integration is essential to capital intensive industries like mining, transport and engineering, with big systems, complex integration, and mission-critical outcomes.
At NEC Australia, systems integration means bringing together every aspect of large and multifaceted projects for Australia’s biggest companies – ICT hardware and software, communications infrastructure, project management, and specialised technologies. NEC is one of Australia’s largest and most experienced systems integrators, with an unrivalled breadth of product knowledge and domain expertise.
NEC Australia has been part of the Australian ICT scene since 1969, and has been manufacturing in Australia since 1980. With the 2012 acquisition of the technology solutions business of leading ICT systems integrator CSG, NEC has become one of the largest ICT services and systems integration companies in the country, supplementing our existing communications, infrastructure, managed services and R&D capabilities with the full spectrum of ICT products and services. NEC employs 1,500 ICT professionals throughout Australia.
NEC offers a range of systems integration capabilities for capital intensive industries:
- Facilities Management and Cloud solutions, including Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS). NEC has three large data centres in Australia. The state-of-the-art Polaris data centre in Queensland is a highly secure Tier 3+ facility, designed and purpose built to support large enterprises. It is one of the most energy-efficient data centres in Australia. NEC’s Melbourne and Canberra data centres provide maximum reliability, security, and availability for your business-critical applications, supported by a large team of network operations support personnel.
- NEC has significant experience in managing major projects and programs of work for large corporations. NEC specialises in the establishment and management of project management offices within large organisations, using industry-leading project management methodologies such as PRINCE2 and Six Sigma to ensure the most appropriate approach to every project.
- NEC’s technology centre in Melbourne is one of only three global R&D centres for NEC Corporation worldwide. We invest more than $40 million every year in local technology development, including custom development for our systems integration clients.
- Process monitoring and control, e.g. plant operations, drilling, LNG processing, SCADA monitoring.
Safe movement and transportation within mine sites and between mine sites and shipping ports, including operation of autonomous vehicles such as heavy haul mine graders and heavy haul trains. Integration with sensors such as collision avoidance and surface movement radar and weather systems.
- Integrated security systems and applications: CCTV camera monitoring, intrusion detection, access control, biometric information checks.
- Multimedia content subsystems e.g. video-on-demand (VOD), digital content management and distribution.
- End-to-end ICT value stack capabilities including consulting, ITIL, project and process management, managed services, ERP and business intelligence implementation and management.
- Contact centres, service desk management, desktop and server management.
NEC Australia is your total systems integration partner. A commitment to technical excellence underpins our ability to deliver end-to-end data, voice and video solutions for large enterprises in business and government. At NEC we customise, design and deliver an integrated ICT infrastructure founded on quality of service, security and reliability, scalability, and open standards.
Your communications infrastructure specialist
NEC has particular expertise in the development, integration and management of enterprise-scale communications infrastructure. NEC Australia is a significant telecommunications infrastructure supplier, and is a major contributor to the National Broadband Network (NBN). NEC Australia supplied and integrated 1.7 million Telstra ADSL lines, and has provided a variety of network design and engineering services to Telstra, many of which involve multi-vendor integration activities.
Examples of communications technologies and systems that NEC Australia integrates and manages include:
- Radio and satellite communications for plant and mining operations. NEC’s specialised expertise includes R&D, system engineers, technicians, and maintenance and training staff. Radio technologies include Tetra and P25 trunked radio networks spanning VHF and UHF frequency bands., and cellular mobile standards including 3G and LTE/4G. Satellite technologies include commercial standards such as DVB-S2 and MF-TDMA, over all major frequency bands.
- Machine-to-machine (M2M) communications and management, including wireless technologies such as WLAN (802.11 etc.), mobile (3G, LTE/4G) and WiMax for the underlying communications infrastructure.
- Unified Communications and Collaboration (UC&C) infrastructure, including network management, advanced VoIP and mobility solutions and mobile device management. NEC has significant expertise in engineering end-to-end voice and data networks.
- Wireline technologies e.g. GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Network) land-based subsystems and network infrastructure. NEC has provided GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Network) equipment, engineering and integration services to OptiComm, one of Australia’s major FTTP (fibre to the premises) suppliers.
- Engineering large broadband networks. These capabilities include the design of network interconnect with partner carrier networks using technologies such as MPLS and Carrier Ethernet. NEC operates and maintains its own national wholesale broadband access network in Australia, through a separate NEC business unit called Nextep.